Applications for the 2016 Pre-apprenticeship Programs have now closed. Applications for any programs in 2017 will be announced in the website and the Facebook page.
What is the Trade Start Civil Construction Program?
The Trade Start Civil Construction Program aims to provide persons interested in a civil construction trade career the practical skills that will assist them to gain an apprenticeship.
The program involves 4 weeks at TAFE Queensland South West’s Toowoomba campus where the focus will be on providing accredited training that will provide participants with the skills and knowledge to successfully undertake an apprenticeship with a local civil construction industry employer.
Participants will then undertake 4 weeks of work experience with a local employer seeking to employ an apprentice. Harnessing its network of local host employers, Golden West Apprenticeships will work to secure ongoing apprenticeships for participants who successfully complete the program. While there is no guarantee of an apprenticeship at the completion of the program, Golden West Apprenticeships is committed to securing positions for participants who successfully complete the program.
The total commitment is 8 weeks and is targeting those persons who are committed to securing a civil construction trade apprenticeship but who may benefit from the skills and experience provided.
Who is Golden West Apprenticeships?
Golden West Apprenticeships is a government recognised group training organisation that has been operating across the Darling Downs and southern and western Queensland for 26 years.
We employ apprentices and trainees across most industries and ‘host’ them through our network of businesses and employers.
Golden West Apprenticeships provides a complete and hassle free service for the recruitment and employment of apprentices and trainees including recruitment, induction, payment of wages, superannuation and training, as well as ongoing monitoring and support.
Who is eligible?
The program is targeting those persons who are committed to securing a civil construction trade apprenticeship but who may benefit from the skills and experience provided. It is ideal for school leavers or others with limited or no experience.
Prospective students must meet the following criteria for eligibility:
- An Australian or New Zealand citizen; or
- a permanent resident of Australia; or
- a refugee and humanitarian visa holder.
- AND MUST:
- permanently reside in Queensland; or
- be permanently employed in Queensland.
- Non-eligible Participants under this Agreement are:
- an Employee of any Authority or RTO;
- an Apprentice or Trainee;
- those currently enrolled and participating in a Queensland secondary school program;
- a contracted trainer or assessor or existing worker of an RTO;
- previously funded under this Program in the same Contract Term;
- funded by an Authority or such other source for delivery of the same Training being undertaken as part of this Program;
- those who have undertaken or completed the Trade Start – General Construction Program in the same Contract Term;
- stream B and C job seekers currently receiving employment support from job active service providers; or
- others that do not meet above eligibility.
As part of the selection of participants, Golden West Apprenticeships will be looking for those persons who will commit to the program requirement of attending TAFE training and work experience.
A driver’s licence and vehicle is preferred.
How much does it cost?
This program is partially funded under Construction Skills Queensland’s Trade Start Initiative and Certificate 3 Guarantee program.
Participants will need to meet travel costs of their transport and incidentals (meals, etc.).
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be made available to participants.
When will the program start?
The Trade Start Civil Construction Program is scheduled to commence on 8 February 2016 at the TAFE Queensland South West Toowoomba Campus.
Will participation affect Centrelink Benefits and Activity Test/Participation Requirements?
Contact should be made with Centrelink for further information: www.humanservices.gov.au
What is the application process?
Interested persons are asked to register their interest (including lodging their resume) at www.goldenwest.org.au/job-vacancies by 29 January 2016.
All applications will be reviewed with interviews conducted where appropriate.
Where can I get further information?
Enquiries can be emailed to: email@example.com or telephone to 1300 650 775.